Surveillance Cameras...to Cover Every Inch Of Chicago Town
"Pretty soon, if you're tossing a paper napkin on the ground, making an illegal U-turn or even letting Fido relieve himself on the streets of Bellwood, be forewarned: Somebody could be watching.
"In the hopes of eliminating crime, village officials say they'll have all the public ways in the 3.5-square mile town under camera surveillance within two years."
This is a terrifying precendent straight out of George Orwell's worst nightmare.article. I wrote this article originally for As-Safir in Beirut. For the first time ever in my relationship with my friends at the newspaper, As-Safir decided not to run it, saying it was "too tough." I circulated the text among friends who (thanks to Mounzir, Kamal, and Fadi) submitted it to Al-Quds Al-`Arabi. It is titled: "The Folklore of Lebanese Patriotism: What the Fluttering Flags Could not Hide."
More like this
- Pushing Back Against Sheldon Adelson Flood Of Slime
- Why We "Are Voting For the Other" ...Susan Collins Hasn't Earned 6 More Years
- Steve Israel's Ignored WA-08, so Jason Richie Will Use Own Strategy to Beat Loathsome Dave Reichert
- Alan Grayson-- Progressives' Cosmic Thing
- Hold? Let’s Upgrade the Senate.