2013 was a strong year for movies overall. All the nominated films were good and there were many other fine films to see that weren't nominated at all. But this is about the Oscars so let me get to my picks. (You have my picks now so share your's in the comment section)
- American Hustle
- Captain Phillips
- Dallas Buyers Club
- 12 Years a Slave
- The Wolf of Wall Street
Winner: "Gravity" It was an ambitious production that turned the cold, dark and silent spaces of space into the most exciting and entertaining film of the year. What you can't hear is more frightening that what you can.
Runner-up: "12 Years A Slave," was excellently acted and well made, but it's a hard movie to sit through and left me cold. I do believe that a movie depicting the horrors of slavery should be made every few years and it should be required viewing for some people and politicians in this country if they want their driver's license renewed.
Best Actor in a Leading Role
- Christian Bale (American Hustle)
- Bruce Dern (Nebraska)
- Leonardo DiCaprio (The Wolf of Wall Street)
- Chiwetel Ejiofor (12 Years a Slave)
- Matthew McConaughey (Dallas Buyers Club)
Winner: Matthew McConaughey. His commitment to the part was intense, with the extreme weight loss and all and his performance was truly electrifying. Is his career on a roll or what?
Best Actress in a Leading Role
- Amy Adams (American Hustle)
- Cate Blanchett (Blue Jasmine)
- Sandra Bullock (Gravity)
- Judi Dench (Philomena)
- Meryl Streep (August: Osage County
Winner: Cate Blanchett. Woody Allen combined elements of "A Street Car Named Desire" and "Woman Under The Influence" to sculpt out the character of Jasmine and Blanchett's performance was stunning and heartbreaking.
Best Actor in a Supporting Role
- Barkhad Abdi (Captain Phillips)
- Bradley Cooper (American Hustle)
- Michael Fassbender (12 Years a Slave)
- Jonah Hill (The Wolf of Wall Street)
- Jared Leto (Dallas Buyers Club)
Winner: Barkhad Abdi. Everyone is picking Jared Leto, who was marvelous by the way, but for me, Abdi's performance was better than Hanks and was the heartbeat of "Captain Phillips".
Best Actress in a Supporting Role
- Sally Hawkins (Blue Jasmine)
- Jennifer Lawrence (American Hustle)
- Lupita Nyong'o (12 Years a Slave)
- Julia Roberts (August: Osage County)
- June Squibb (Nebraska)
Winner: Jennifer Lawrence. Lupita Nyong'o has become the favorite now to win the coveted Oscar and she was brilliant, but Jennifer Lawrence stole the show with a manically bravado performance that saved "American Hustle" from itself. You'll never look at a microwave quite the same.
- David O. Russell (American Hustle)
- Alfonso Cuarón (Gravity)
- Alexander Payne (Nebraska)
- Steve McQueen (12 Years a Slave)
- Martin Scorsese (The Wolf of Wall Street)
WInner: I never understand how the best picture award doesn't also equate into a best director award, but in this case if "Gravity" wins best picture then Steve McQueen will win this award for the agonizing "12 Years A Slave." Flip it to Cuarón if he loses Best Picture to McQueen.