In the ongoing saga of Fox News Makes Viewers Stupid, Bill O'Reilly continued their tradition of denying science in order to trash the sensible justices on the Supreme Court on their Hobby Lobby dissent.
In his Talking Points segment, O'Reilly first turned to the Hobby Lobby decision, congratulating the right wing justices for doing Fox News' bidding -- and believing their propaganda -- before turning his attention to the ones who chose to believe science over Fox. From the Fox News blog:
However, he said, “The very disturbing part about the Supreme Court’s opinion is that the four liberal justices apparently believe that American taxpayers should fund abortions.”
I called it right back in March when I predicted that science denial would prevail in this case. Too bad I don't get brownie points for that, eh?
I'm going to write this very slowly so anyone who actually wants facts can understand.
Contraception prevents conception.
Without conception there is no fetus.
Without implantation, there is no fetus.
Without a fetus there is no abortion.
Plan B, birth control pills prevent conception. IUD's prevent implantation.
Justice Alito, writing for the majority, chose to simply skip the facts, relying instead on Hobby Lobby's "sincere belief" that contraception causes abortion. On that basis, we can expect the next ruling to restore Jim Crow and obliterate the Equal Rights Act, because of "sincere beliefs" held by small businesses that -- insert group here -- are second class citizens. You can fill in the blank with gays, minorities, Hispanics, women, whatever.
Just for fun, the marvelous Heather did a search on the number of times wingers and Fox News have pushed the denialists' version of the contraception=abortion lie. She found hundreds of posts on this site alone.
Just for you, dear readers, here is the C&L Contraception=Abortion True Believers' Hall of Shame and Sincere Belief:
- Michele Bachmann and Louis Gohmert: Special added bonus there with Goober Gohmert thanking God for sensible Supreme Court justices who would deny science in Jesus' name.
- Andrew Napolitano, on Fox News claiming contraception coverage will kill Granny and cause abortions!
- Rick Santorum on CNN: Corporations are religious people, too!
- Stephen Colbert takes their logic to the limit. Ants, Kochs dropping acid, and more.
- BillO, telling viewers black folks need peer pressure and a good thwack more than they need sex education and contraception. How paternal of him!
- Hobby Lobby's hack lawyer from the Beckett Fund, paid for by the likes of DeVos, Koch and more, claiming the Greens would martyr themselves rather than pay for "abortions."
- Andrea "Flash the Leg" Tantaros on Fox, saying women who want to be sluts and sleep around ought to just get a second damn job to pay for those "abortion pills."
- Fox News' resident Mafia Dona Liz Trotta, threatening Nancy Pelosi if she shows her face in church and making the usual claim about contraception.
- HuckaJesus on Fox: The ACA pays for abortion!
- Scalia on Fox News: Women have no right to privacy, abortion choices.
They're all so very sincere in their beliefs. That's the only test these days, thanks to the five conservatives on the Supreme Court. Believe, and it will be so. Like magic!
By the way, if you thought BillO's segment was bad, get a load of Megyn Kelly's nonsense. It got much, much worse.