Back in May, Judge Roy Moore, a vicious anti-same-sex marriage proponent was suspended with pay for defying the U.S. Supreme Court ruling on same-sex marriage.
Despite a ruling by a federal judge in Mobile making same-sex marriage legal in Alabama last year, and in the face of a United States Supreme Court ruling last year making its legality the law of the land, Moore instructed probate judges throughout Alabama to ignore those higher courts and to refuse to issue licenses to same-sex couples.
Today, his suspension was made permanent, without pay and he's responsible for all court costs relating to this matter.
Alabama’s Chief Justice Roy Moore is suspended from the bench without pay for the duration of his term, the Court of the Judiciary announced Friday. The decision comes after the Judicial Inquiry Commission accused Moore of directing Alabama’s probate judges to defy the federal courts when it comes to issuing same-sex marriage licenses.
- Canon 1 - Failed to uphold the integrity and independence of the judiciary
- Canon 2 - Failed to avoid impropriety and the appearance of impropriety in all of his activities
- Canon 2A - Failed to respect and comply with the law and failed to conduct himself at all times in a manner that promotes public confidence in the integrity and impartiality of the judiciary
- Canon 2B - Failed to avoid conduct prejudicial to the administration of justice that brings the judicial office into disrepute
- Canon 3 - Failed to perform the duties of his office impartially; and
- Canon 3A (6) - Failed to abstain from public comment about a pending proceeding in his own court
Finally, a little bit of justice is meted out to a truly awful human being.