Live video: Weather Channel coverage of severe storm
Good morning, today is Monday, October 29, 2012. These are the latest updates and news on Hurricane Sandy. Your Morning Open Thread begins below the fold.
• LOCATION: 35.9N 70.5W (385 miles SSE of New York City)
• WIND: Max sustained winds at 85 miles per hour (140 km/h)
• MOVING: North at 15 miles per hour (22 km/h)
• BULLETIN: Click to read the full National Hurricane Center bulletin
• NEW YORK: Mandatory evacuation in Zone A. MTA suspends subway and bus service. Public schools closed on Monday. NYSE suspends operation on Monday, likely Tuesday as well. Pres. Obama declares state of emergency.
• NEW JERSEY: NJ transit shut down across the state. Schools closed in over 250 counties. Barrier islands evacuated (evacuation routes). Pres. Obama declares state of emergency.
• PENNSYLVANIA: SEPTA suspends services. Flights in, out of Philadelphia Int'l Airport cancelled for Monday. Pres. Obama declares state of emergency.
• DELAWARE: Level 2 driving restriction starts Monday at 5am ET, bans anyone from driving on the road except "essential personnel" (read more).
• DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA: Public schools closed. Federal offices closed to public. Metro service canceled for Monday. Pres. Obama declares state of emergency.
• MARYLAND: Early voting shut down for Monday.
• CONNECTICUT: Mandatory evacuation along the coast. Pres. Obama declares state of emergency.
• MASSACHUSETTS: Some schools closed (see closings here).
• RHODE ISLAND: Pres. Obama declares state of emergency.
Weather update information via Reuters.