Did you ever have someone in your life who without being loud could command the attention of the entire room? Lisa Kekaula was that for me in college. I met her through mutual friends and began to hang out. I thought she was the coolest person I knew.
In the intervening years, life happened. I moved away, got involved in work, fell in love, got married, had kids and basically lost touch with Lisa. But I hadn't forgotten her. Occasionally, I'd bump into our mutual friends and she was always someone I'd ask about.
And lo, the benefit of the social networks! Bored one day, I started doing searches in Facebook for old friends and lovers and reconnected with Lisa, who is fronting The BellRays with her husband, Bob. Decades later, she's still fierce and soulful and the band has just blown me away.
Those of you in Southern California should be able to find the The BellRays performing fairly regularly very soon as they'll be announcing tour dates.
About Nicole Belle
More like this
- One Last 2014 Ask From Blue America
- Pushing Back Against Sheldon Adelson Flood Of Slime
- Why We "Are Voting For the Other" ...Susan Collins Hasn't Earned 6 More Years
- Steve Israel's Ignored WA-08, so Jason Richie Will Use Own Strategy to Beat Loathsome Dave Reichert
- Alan Grayson-- Progressives' Cosmic Thing