This week opens with Rayna, her sister Tandy and the kids at her mother's graveside in honor of Virginia's birthday. Sulky Maddie is brooding off to the side, listening to one of Deacon's song's on her iPod. "Did he write this about you?" she asks Rayna. Rayna says yes. The early teens are so unattractive, aren't they?
- Juliette's manager Glen pulls up in an expensive new sports car. "It's a thank you note from Charlie Wentworth," he tells her, handing her the keys. How does it feel to be a high-level hooker, Juliette?
- At the gravesite, Rayna tells her dead mom it's been a rough year. She says she thinks she’s lost her voice and isn’t sure who she is without it. Sad face!
- Teddy tells Not-Pregnant Peggy he's thinking about running for Congress, and then proposes to her, offering his mother's ring. "Are you doing this to avoid a scandal, or because you want us to be together as a family?" she asks. "Would it be so bad if I said both?" He asks her not to say anything until he has a chance to tell his girls. (Oh, Teddy. If only you'd just seen her in the bathroom with her
negative pregnancyovulation test.)
- Demure Miss Scarlett is an absolute disaster at her first photo shoot, as the photog is yelling at her to be sexy. He's a regular Annie Leibowitz, he's so skilled at bringing out a hidden part of her personality. (Not.)
- Deacon shows up at the office of Megan, his public defender, to apologize and to give her a check, which she refuses. "Buy me dinner and we can call it even," she says. Co-dependency issues, perfect for Deacon!
- Tandy meets with a private investigator who tells her her father may have been in town the night of her mother's accident. Uh oh!
- Rayna drops by Juliette's to tell her in person that she needs to cancel the tour. Juliette is her usual understanding self: "I have a new record! I did not have a near death experience to push this thing to the top of the charts!"
- Rayna drags the kid's to the annual Symphony Gala her father Lamar holds in honor of her mother. Maddie's being a brat, and runs to her father when she sees him. Then Old Eagle Eye looks at Not-Pregnant Peggy and screams, "Why are you wearing my grandmother's ring around your neck?" She runs off. Rayna has words with Teddy; Teddy tells her Not-Pregnant Peggy is pregnant, "and I'm trying to do the right thing by her."
- Tandy's pumping her dad about his memories of the day her mother died. Wyatt's evasive. Wonder why?
- Maddie runs off from the gala. "She's a 12-year-old girl in an evening gown. How is it that no one saw her?" Teddy says. Oh, shut up, Teddy. This is television, not the real world.
- Rayna walks in on Deacon's date with Megan, looking for Maddie. Oops. He jumps up to go search for Maddie, but Rayna asks him to stay. "I really think she might come here, she's been listening to your music," she says.
- Turns out Maddie called Juliette, who pulls up in her new sports car. "I didn't know where I was," Maddie says, and bursts into tears. (I know how she felt; I got lost in Nashville one time, and no matter where I looked, the only landmark I could spot was another dang Waffle House.)
- Avery tells Gunnar he could have a hit with his song instead of giving it to Will. The lightbulb finally goes on over Gunnar's head.
- Zooey and Scarlett at singing "Come See About Me" at an open mike. They're both drunk.
- Maddie doesn't want to talk to her mother. "I don't want to talk to anybody in my family right now," she says. Juliette tells her Rayna quit the tour to be with her because she cares about her so much. "You're going to call her, aren't you?" a resigned Maddie says.
- A worried Rayna rushes to Juliette's, where Maddie is passed out on the couch. "I told her she could call me if she ever needed to talk. But she really wants to talk to you, though. About her father -- Deacon. Don't worry, my lips are sealed," Juliette says.
- Then we see Maddie and Rayna talking about the song Deacon wrote about her. "Let's not push each other away, we're all we've got," she tells Maddie. While Rayna's out of the room, Maddie answers the phone when Deacon calls. He tells her not to run off like that again, everyone was worried about her.
- Tandy turns over records of Lamar's kickbacks, deals and extortion to the U.S. attorney's office.
- Juliette invites her clone Layla Grant to open for her on her tour, so she won't have to cater to the tweens. Genius! Then she closes the door in her face. Classic J.
- Rayna overhears Maddie and Daphne playing and singing together. She looks teary and touches her throat. Dramatic foreshadowing! Come on, do we really believe Rayna won't be able to sing?
More like this
- Pushing Back Against Sheldon Adelson Flood Of Slime
- Why We "Are Voting For the Other" ...Susan Collins Hasn't Earned 6 More Years
- Steve Israel's Ignored WA-08, so Jason Richie Will Use Own Strategy to Beat Loathsome Dave Reichert
- Alan Grayson-- Progressives' Cosmic Thing
- Hold? Let’s Upgrade the Senate.