Five reasons Christie is not a moderate:
1. He Has Moved To Crush Unions: If one thing marks Christie’s tenure, it is his hostility to organized labor. In 2011, Christie “signed landmark legislation that increases pension and health contributions paid by a half-million teachers, police and other public workers and removes the issue from collective bargaining for four years” — undermining labor rights. During his speech at the Republican National Convention, he derided teachers unions: “[Democrats] believe in pitting unions against teachers, educators against parents, and lobbyists against children. They believe in teachers’ unions. We believe in teachers.”
2. He Killed Marriage Equality: Remember that Christie vetoed a bill that would’ve given gays and lesbians full marriage rights.
3. He Has Rapidly Advanced Education Privatization In The State: In 2010, Chris Christie (R) slashed $820 million in school spending, a cut so extreme that a judge ruled it unconstitutional. At the same time, he has pushed for hundreds of millions of dollars in school vouchers which would transfer taxpayer dollars to private schools.
4. He Ended New Jersey’s Involvement In Battling Global Warming: Despite his strong leadership in the wake of Sandy, Christie undermined the movement to stop these extreme weather events by pulling New Jersey out of the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative, which was designed to combat global warming.
5. He Has Bailed Out Irresponsible Corporations: While slashing school spending, Christie bailed out a massive super-mall boondoggle with $400 million. He has also diverted funding to privately run half-way houses where violent inmates have escaped and non-violent inmates have been killed.
Chris Christie’s close cooperation with the federal government to aid the victims of Sandy is certainly laudable. But especially in light of his possible presidential aspirations, Americans should not forget that he is a hardcore right-winger who had undermined the middle class, equal rights, and basic fairness in New Jersey.And he is a K0CHsucker.
Since taking office in 2010, Chris Christie has for the most part been a model Republican:
Cut 7.4 million in funding for family planning
Vetoed gay marriage bill
Cut benefits for public workers
Withdrew NJ from clean energy program Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative
Vetoed proposal to turn foreclosed properties into affordable housing
Reduced earned income tax credit, in effect raising taxes on low income individuals
Vetoed plan to raise taxes on those earning over a million a year
Refused to raise gasoline tax, 3rd lowest in nation, unchanged since 1988
And so it goes.
Governor Christie occasional unwillingness to kiss GOP ass is somewhat refreshing, but his history of decision making in New Jersey shows that he is right at home in the Republican Party.
I saw that, it would be a bullshit reason to ban him/her IMO.
It seemed that Bernie initiated the hug and Rachel merely failed to impolitely straight arm him. Then, once she hugged Bernie, she sort of had to hug Hillary.
Bullies are cowards at heart, and Christie is definitely a bully.