Connect to C&L with your social network account
Login with your C&L account
I think it's safe to say the last two weeks have been less than kind when it comes to conservatives and race relations.
* Sen. George Allen's (R-Va.) "macaca" scandal.
* Sen. Conrad Burns (R-Mont.) joked about how a "nice little Guatemalan man" fixing up his house might be an illegal immigrant.
* A leading congressional candidate in Florida said he knows, "from my own experience, that blacks are not the greatest swimmers, and may not even know how to swim."
* Two congressional candidates and a gubernatorial candidate believe people who "appear" to be Arab or Muslim should be subjected to racial profiling at airports.
* Pat Buchanan's new book argues for "an immediate moratorium on all immigration," in order to preserve the dominance of the white race in America.
And in one you may not have heard about, a Baptist church in Mississippi voted out a 12-year-old boy who "asked Jesus to live in his heart" -- because the child is biracial and church members didn't want the black side of his family attending with him.
And these are just from the last two weeks.
--Guest Post by Steve Benen, The Carpetbagger Report
We welcome relevant, respectful comments. Please refer to our Terms of Service for information on our posting policy.