During a superb line of questioning today, Senator Menendez (D-NJ) ran through a damning laundry list of how our invasion and subsequent reconstruction billions have actually worsened the plight of average Iraqis.
Some of Menendez's figures are downright infuriating. This is what $25 billion has gotten us:
- 43% of population lives in absolute poverty
- prior to war 19% of children suffered malnutrition; today 28%
- last year 75% elementary-aged kids went to school; now 30%
- prior to war 50% lacked access to clean water; now 70%
- only 50 of 142 primary health care centes are open to public
Ambassador Crocker's response is exactly what you would expect:
"Security conditions made it difficult to bring projects to closure in a timely fashion."
What a tangled web we weave.