(WOIO) - 52-year-old convicted kidnapper and rapist Ariel Castro was found hanging in his cell Tuesday.
Castro was being held at the Correction Reception Center in Orient, OH in Pickaway County.
He was sentenced August 1 to life in prison, plus 1,000 years, for kidnapping and sexually assaulting Amanda Berry, Michelle Knight and Gina DeJesus while holding them captive in his Seymour Avenue house for over a decade.
Ohio State Police and the Department of Corrections are investigating the death.
JoEllen Smith of the Ohio Department of Corrections released this statement:
Inmate Ariel Castro was found hanging in his cell this evening at 9:20 pm at the Correctional Reception Center in Orient. He was housed in protective custody which means he was in a cell by himself and rounds are required every 30 minutes at staggered intervals. Upon finding inmate Castro, prison medical staff began performing life saving measures. Shortly after he was transported to OSUMC where he was pronounced dead at 10:52 pm.
More like this
- One Last 2014 Ask From Blue America
- Pushing Back Against Sheldon Adelson Flood Of Slime
- Why We "Are Voting For the Other" ...Susan Collins Hasn't Earned 6 More Years
- Steve Israel's Ignored WA-08, so Jason Richie Will Use Own Strategy to Beat Loathsome Dave Reichert
- Alan Grayson-- Progressives' Cosmic Thing
- skippy the bush kangaroo
- Mugsy's Rap Shet
- Ezra Klein
- Nicole Sandler - Radio or Not
- Steve Benen at MaddowBlog
- Angry Bear
- Arthur Silber
- Juan Cole/Informed Comment
- Bob Cesca
- Lawyers, Guns & Money
- A Tiny Revolution
- echidne of the snakes
- The Reality-Based Community
- Southern Beale