Preview Of Super Tuesday, Part 1 (AK, GA, ID, MA, ND)

State: Alaska

Type of election: Caucus

How it works: 24 delegates are at stake and are awarded proportionately.

Official election results: Alaska Division of Elections

Republican candidates: Newt Gingrich, Ron Paul, Mitt Romney and Rick Santorum (all others have dropped out or are polling at less than 1 percent)

Democratic candidates: There is no Democratic presidential caucus.

Previous performance: In 2008, Romney won the caucus with 36 percent of the vote. Paul finished third with 15.5 percent. Obama won the Democratic caucus with 75 percent of the vote.

Newspapers: Anchorage Daily News, Anchorage Press, full list

Television stations: Full list

Progressive blogs: Mudflats

Latest polling: Basically no polling has been done on the caucus.

Nate Silver says the state will split relatively equally between Romney and Paul, with Santorum coming in third,

Bottom line: This looks to be the one place where Paul has a shot at a victory. It won't really matter, though, in the big picture.

State: Georgia

Type of election: Primary

How it works: 76 delegates are at stake. 31 are awarded statewide proportionately to candidates who get at least 20 percent of the vote. The remaining are awarded three per congressional district, where a majority candidate gets all three or if there is no majority, the delegates are given to the top two candidates 2-1.

Official election results: Georgia Secretary of State

Republican candidates: Newt Gingrich, Ron Paul, Mitt Romney and Rick Santorum (all others have dropped out or are polling at less than 1 percent)

Democratic candidates: Barack Obama and minor candidates.

Previous performance: In 2008, Romney finished third to Mike Huckabee with 30 percent of the vote. Paul finished fourth with just under 3 percent. Obama won the primary with 66 percent.

Newspapers: Atlanta Journal-Constitution, full list

Television stations: Full list

Progressive blogs: Blog for Democracy

Latest polling: New York Times:

  • ARG: Gingrich 44 percent, Romney 24, Santorum 19, Paul 9
  • Rasmussen: Gingrich 37, Romney 27, Santorum 18, Paul 10
  • Insider Advantage: Gingrich 47, Romney 21, Santorum 18, Paul 6
  • PPP: Gingrich 47, Romney 24, Santorum 19, Paul 8
  • CNN: Gingrich 47, Romney 24, Santorum 15, Paul 9
  • Mason-Dixon: Gingrich 38, Romney 24, Santorum 22, Paul 3

    Nate Silver gives Gingrich a 99 percent chance of winning with Romney a 1 percent chance.

    Bottom line: It's Gingrich's home state, so anything other than a win for him would be a disaster. The state has a lot of delegates, but they are pretty divided, so it won't give Newt much of a boost overall, particularly on a day with nine other contests.

    State: Idaho

    Type of election: Caucus

    How it works: At the county level, delegates will be chosen in a primarily winner-take-all series of votes. Any candidate who obtains the majority of the county dlegates wins all of the state's delegates. If no candidate gets a majority, the delegates will be split proportionately. 32 delegates are at stake. The primary is closed, but the state offers election-day registration.

    Official election results: Idaho Secretary of State

    Republican candidates: Newt Gingrich, Ron Paul, Mitt Romney and Rick Santorum (all others have dropped out or are polling at less than 1 percent)

    Democratic candidates: There is no Democratic presidential caucus.

    Previous performance: In 2008, the Idaho primary was held much later and Romney didn't participate. Paul finished second to John McCain with 70 percent of the vote. Obama won the Democratic caucus with 79.5 percent.

    Newspapers: Idaho Statesman, full list

    Television stations: Full list

    Progressive blogs: 43rd State Blues

    Latest polling: Polling in Idaho has been virtually non-existent.

    Nate Silver says Romney should win Idaho fairly easily.

    Bottom line: As a winner-take-all state, this would be a big win for Romney, delegate-wise, although no one will pay much attention to it.

    State: Massachusetts

    Type of election: Primary

    How it works: 38 delegates are at stake and are given proportionately to all candidates who get at least 15 percent of the vote.

    Official election results: Massachusetts Secretary of State

    Republican candidates: Newt Gingrich, Ron Paul, Mitt Romney and Rick Santorum (all others have dropped out or are polling at less than 1 percent)

    Democratic candidates: Barack Obama and minor candidates.

    Previous performance: In 2008, Romney won with 51 percent of the vote, while Paul finished fourth with less than 3 percent. Obama finished second in the Democratic primary with under 41 percent.

    Newspapers: Boston Globe, Boston Herald, full list

    Television stations: Full list

    Progressive blogs: Blue Mass Group

    Latest polling: New York Times:

  • YouGov: Romney 64 percent, Santorum 21, Paul 9, Gingrich 6

    Nate Silver gives Romney a 100 percent chance of winning

    Bottom line: One of Romney's multiple "home" states, it should be an easy win for him, but it won't give him much of a boost, since it'll get lost in the flood of other states. A loss by Romney, which seems like a nonexistent possibility, would be the only story out of Massachusetts.

    State: North Dakota

    Type of election: Caucus

    How it works: 25 delegates are at stake and are awarded proportionately.

    Official election results: North Dakota Secretary of State

    Republican candidates: Newt Gingrich, Ron Paul, Mitt Romney and Rick Santorum (all others have dropped out or are polling at less than 1 percent)

    Democratic candidates: There is no Democratic presidential caucus.

    Previous performance: In 2008, Romney won the caucus with 36 percent, Paul finished third with 21 percent. Obama won the caucus with 61 percent of the vote.

    Newspapers: Bismarck Tribune, Grand Forks Herald, full list

    Television stations: Full list

    Progressive blogs: North Decoder

    Latest polling: No public polling has been done on the state.

    Nate Silver gives Romney a slight edge over Santorum and Paul.

    Bottom line: Not many delegates and the proportionate nature of the contest makes this one not particularly interesting in the big picture. Paul supporters are looking at the state for a possible pick-up.

  • Comments

    We welcome relevant, respectful comments. Please refer to our Terms of Service for information on our posting policy.