The exact number is up for debate, but the fact is that the US has thousands of nuclear warheads still in its possession, despite signing the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty in the late 60s/early 70s. To be fair, the number IS decreasing, though we have far to go.
But still, you'd think with all this talk questioning the motivation of Russia, and discussing modern warfare and the use of chemical and conventional weapons, our congresscritters might be a little more in tune with what is going on.
Global Zero, a group that promotes eliminating all nuclear weapons, asked a few lawmakers how many nukes are in the U.S. stockpile. Some said they didn’t know; others gave inaccurate numbers.
The above video includes interviews with Republican Reps. Blaine Luetkemeyer of Missouri; Phil Gingrey of Georgia; Morgan Griffith of Virginia; Steve Womack of Arkansas; Rob Wittman of Virginia; Tom McClintock of California; Duncan Hunter of California; Mark Amodei of Nevada; Bill Flores of Texas; Democratic Reps. Donald Payne Jr. of New Jersey and John Garamendi of California; and New Progressive Puerto Rico Resident Commissioner Pedro Pierluisi.
Get more info at Global Zero.
About Nicole Belle
More like this
- One Last 2014 Ask From Blue America
- Pushing Back Against Sheldon Adelson Flood Of Slime
- Why We "Are Voting For the Other" ...Susan Collins Hasn't Earned 6 More Years
- Steve Israel's Ignored WA-08, so Jason Richie Will Use Own Strategy to Beat Loathsome Dave Reichert
- Alan Grayson-- Progressives' Cosmic Thing
- Juan Cole/Informed Comment
- Bob Cesca
- The Political Carnival
- The Immoral Minority (Alaska)
- A Tiny Revolution
- Glenn Greenwald
- The Side Show
- Steve Benen at MaddowBlog
- The Reality-Based Community
- The Talent Show
- bart cop
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Jay Rosen
- Politics TV