(full disclosure: I work for the Courage Campaign, a No on Prop 8 coalition member)
Two anonymous donors have offered to match dollar for dollar every donation that comes in to the No on Prop 8 campaign, to protect marriage rights for everyone in California up to $500,000. Below are 8 things that should motivate you to help us meet the match.
8. John McCain can look Ellen Degeneres straight in the face and reject her right to marriage.
7. Luckily, the big donors behind Prop 8 don't think stoning gays is a "necessity."
In 2004, Howard F. Ahmanson -- who gave $900K to the Yes campaign -- told the Orange County Register: "I think what upsets people is that Rushdoony seemed to think –- and I'm not sure about this –- that a godly society would stone people for the same thing that people in ancient Israel were stoned. I no longer consider that essential. It would still be a little hard to say that if one stumbled on a country that was doing that, that it is inherently immoral, to stone people for these things. But I don't think it's at all a necessity."
6. "Yes on 8" supporters are emptying out their savings accounts to defeat "teh gays"
"Pam and Rick Patterson have always followed teachings of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and tried to live within their means. He drives a 10-year-old Honda Civic to his job at Intel. She is a stay-at home mom who makes most of the family meals and bakes her own bread. The couple, who have five sons between the ages of 3 and 12, live in a comfortable but modest three-bedroom home in Folsom. It's a traditional lifestyle they believe is now at risk. That's why the Pattersons recently made a huge financial sacrifice – they withdrew $50,000 from their savings and donated it to the Yes on Proposition 8 campaign, the ballot measure that seeks to ban same-sex marriage."
5. They are gracious enough to remind us that it's not about intolerance.
"Proposition 8 is NOT an attack on gay couples" --www.Protectmarriage.com "In August , the prophets added pages of elaboration: 'The Church has a single, undeviating standard of sexual morality: intimate relations are proper only between a husband and a wife united in bonds of matrimony.'"
"The (one million) YES on Prop 8 yard signs have been delayed in route from China."
3. Mormons love gays so much, they have pressured their 770,000 members to donate millions of dollars to pass Prop 8 and eliminate marriage rights:
If you're not listed on the massive searchable donor spreadsheets publicly available on this site, you must not be a good Mormon.
2. Their spokespeople want to extend the "equality" to elderly and sterile couples!
And, the #1 reason why you should donate to defeat Prop 8:
1. Religious wingnuts are packing Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego on November 1. And they are mobilizing millions across America at "TheCall.com" (MUST-WATCH VIDEO AT THE TOP).