I'd be a whole lot less cynical about this if it didn't look like another fundraising ploy by Sen. Rand Paul, and if the former Virginia attorney general, Ken Cuccinelli was not involved. I'd like to see the NSA checked and an end to these programs as well, but I don't trust either of these two to be honest brokers with their motives behind this suit as far as I can throw them.
Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) has launched a wide-ranging class action lawsuit against the Obama administration over its omnibus collection of phone data.
Speaking to Fox News’ Sean Hannity on Friday, Paul said that, theoretically, every American with a cell phone is a potential litigant. The question, he said, is whether or not a single warrant can apply to millions of people.
“What better way to illustrate the point than having hundreds of thousands of Americans sign up for a class action suit,” he said. “We want to overwhelm the government.”
Paul said the lead lawyer in the suit is Virginia’s former attorney general, Ken Cuccinelli.
A link on Paul’s campaign site will allow potential plaintiffs to join the suit, he said. The link, however, also contains a request for campaign donations. “Your most generous contribution will help me circulate this petition to as many Americans as possible to gain the absolute maximum number of signers,” it says. The separation between the Paul campaign and the suit isn’t clear. Calls and emails to the Paul campaign haven’t yet been returned.
Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., is suing the Obama administration over the National Security Agency’s spying practices in an effort to “protect the Fourth Amendment,” he told host Eric Bolling Friday on "Hannity."
“The question here is whether or not, constitutionally, you can have a single warrant apply to millions of people,” Paul said. “So we thought, what better way to illustrate the point than having hundreds of thousands of Americans sign up for a class action suit.” [...]
↓ Story continues below ↓
He added that Ken Cuccinelli, the current attorney general of Virginia who ran for governor last year, is part of the initiative’s legal team.
“We’re hoping, with his help, that we can get a hearing in court, and ultimately get this class-action lawsuit, I think the first of its kind on a constitutional question, all the way to the Supreme Court,” Paul said.
Two major lawsuits have been filed, one of which - the class-action suit referred to as the "Lake Conway Class" - claims Exxon's spill was a massive 27,000 barrels/1.1 million gallons in size and also says this was the 14th spill of the Pegasus line in its history. The other one - lead by the EPA and the Arkansas AG - is seeking possible billions in reparations from ExxonMobil for gross violations of the Clean Water Act and other similar AR state-level laws. Read more...
Former Bank of America employees gave sworn statements that the bank lied to homeowners, denied loan modifications for bogus reasons and rewarded employees for sending homeowners to foreclosure. Read more...
Emeritus Senior Living, the country’s largest assisted living company, has agreed to pay up to $2.2 million to settle claims that it routinely underpaid workers at dozens of its California facilities. Read more...