John Boehner wins the Lifetime Liar of the Week award for his nonsense on This Week. You know, I could almost hear his smarmy tone when I read the transcript.
This is what Boehner does. He lies. He lies especially when he's sweating over Republicans' chances in November.
While speaking to George Stephanopoulis, Boehner insisted Republicans "have been focused like a laser on jobs and the economy." He then went on to cite their vote to repeal the medical devices tax as evidence of that.
Am I really going to have to do another list of the jobs bills Republicans didn't pass during this Congress? I suppose Boehner thinks it's progress that the House has sent 40 non-job-creating bills to the Senate when it was only 30 in the last Congress.
What has the House of Representatives done in the past two years? Nothing. Not one damned thing. Let's have a look.
- They authorized a lawsuit against the President after they failed to repeal Obamacare on 50 separate votes.
- They refused to extend unemployment benefits.
- They've spent millions investigating Benghazi and the IRS, despite the fact that their own committees say there's nothing there to prosecute.
- They shut down the government.
- They don't actually work. This House of Representatives has spent less time in session than any other for more than 100 years. We paid them for 118 days of work out of a 365-day year in 2014. In 2013, it was 160 days out of a 365-day year.
- They failed to act on immigration reform.
- They refuse to act on infrastructure funding
- They stalled on Hurricane Sandy relief for victims, leaving New Jersey residents twisting in the wind.
- They managed to increase the debt ceiling until just after midterms, but after they shut down the government.
Did I mention they shut down the government? They have done absolutely nothing to create jobs. Nothing. Oh, I know the billionaires say job creation means cutting taxes and then they'll magically create jobs with all that money they're not sending the government, but that's a lie, too.
Yes, the job market is improving, but not as fast as it could be if Republicans would actually do something about infrastructure and stimulative federal spending. It's estimated that our GDP would actually be around 2 percent higher if they had dealt with the sequester rather than letting it remain in effect.
Since Republicans have taken over the House of Representatives, not one thing has happened that benefits me or people like me. Not one thing. Obamacare was the work of the Democratic Congress, not this bunch of miscreants.
So yes, John Boehner wins the Perennial Liar award. Here he is in 2012, saying exactly the same thing. It was bullshit then and it's bullshit now.