Former Clinton Labor Secretary, Robert Reich has teamed up with MoveOn.org to celebrate our 240th birthday this Fourth of July. He understands that it's very important to not only love your country, but be aware of the responsibilities of a truly patriotic American.
The folks who consider themselves the most patriotic think that way because they display the most prodigious patriotic paraphernalia. Unfortunately, those symbols are often laden with the jingoistic fallacies pushed by the Right Wing hate machine.
Reich endorsed Bernie Sanders in February because of his commitment to alleviating the stresses caused by massive income inequality. Like many Sanders supporters, Professor Reich will work to help Hillary Clinton beat the Drumpenführer. He is not in favor of a swift suspension of the Sanders campaign in order for him to best influence a more progressive DNC Platform.
Reich outlines five basic principles of true patriotism. His definition praises the country that we love, without demonizing the institution of government.
- First: It's not simply about waiving the American flag and it's not mostly about securing our borders putting up walls keeping others out. It's about coming together for the common good.
- Second: Patriotism 'isn't cheap.' As such, a real American patriot pays his fair share of taxes to fund services, utilities, roadways, social programs, education, healthcare and the most expensive military on the planet. The Presumptive Republican Apricot nominee has yet to reveal his tax returns,and it's widely believed they would divulge some rather 'creative accounting', possibly to the degree that he hardly pays anything back for all the benefits he's received from this nation, the country he claims to love.
- Third: Patriotism is about preserving fortifying and protecting our democracy, not intimidating it with big money and buying off politicians.
- Fourth: True patriots don't hate the government of the United States, they're proud of their country. They know the government is a tool to help solve our problems together.. They may not like everything it does and they justifiably worry when special interests came too much power but true patriots work to improve our government not destroy it *cough cough, like the GOP* The Conservative SCOTUS justices responsible for Citizens United decision unequivocally prove that the GOP was best served by this blatant selling of Democracy to the highest bidder.
- Finally: Patriots don't pander to devisiveness - they don't feel racist or religious or ethnic divisions. They aren't homophobic or sexist or racist. AMEN!
Trump has bragged about his own history of buying politicians who, as he so delicately pronounced, "kiss my ass."
This 4th of July is the last Independence Day of the Obama Administration. Darn, it's the last time we're going to see signs like the ones below. For the full compendium of the most poorly spelled signs, click here. I suppose if Hillary is the next POTUS, we can look forward to signs which are just a tad more misogynist, but, maybe we'll get a respite from the racism. Either way, these people are anything but Patriotic Americans.