It's no secret that Donald Trump is a chauvinist pig. You'd have to be from Mars or in a coma not to know this. Everyone knew that Donny boy was a sexist troll of a man even before his confession to Access Hollywood's Billy Bush about his favorite hobby of sexually assaulting women by grabbing their pussies. From the tabloids that he encouraged to report his sexual escapades to his perverted old man behavior with his pageant contestants that included teenage girls, Trump's views on women being good for one thing has been his most consistent belief. There's been no flip flopping on this subject. You can actually count on it versus anything else he says or does.
In case you've forgotten, here's a list of anti-woman policy decisions the Orange Menace has made or is asking Congress to make:
- The day after the Women's March, he signed an executive order to cut funding women's healthcare programs worldwide. This cuts funding for contraceptives, cancer screenings, HIV preventive measures and the spread of the Zika Virus to name but a few.
- Trump repealed Obama's 2014 Fair Pay and Safe Workplaces order. It required any companies receiving government contracts to pay women the same as they pay their male employees. It also banned companies from requiring women filing sexual harassment complaints to enter into their company run arbitration programs. These programs assist companies in silencing women's complaints by hiding all records.
- He reinstated the Global Gag Rule that bans federal funding to any organization that so much as utters the word abortion.
- Trump made the Hyde Amendment permanent. This amendment bans federal funding for any healthcare organizations in the U.S. that provide abortions to include any subsidies for private healthcare insurance.
- He cut federal funding to the United Nations' Population Fund which provides family planning and reproductive healthcare for women and girls in 150 countries.
- He has allowed states to block Title X money to low-income women in need of healthcare if their provider performs abortions. In some areas, these providers may be the only ones available.
Additionally, Slate reported that Trump's budget cuts proposal would cut all 25 grant programs in the Office of Violence Against Women Program. The following women's programs are likely to be lost:
- victim's recovery programs
- programs assisting law enforcement and courts in addressing violence against women crimes
- coordination of victims' services
- funding for rape crisis centers
- funding for battered women's shelters
- funding to support tribal programs assisting women victims of violence
- child and youth programs that assist victims of sexual abuse
- strategies to assist low-income families that are victims of sexual abuse and domestic violence
- education funds for middle, high school and universities that discuss sexual assault, date rape, domestic violence and stalking
- programs concerning elder abuse and neglect
- short-term and transitional housing for victims
- programs to rehabilitate children exposed to violence
The latest grenade thrown by the Trump administration against women is a proposed budget cut proposal to former First Lady Michelle Obama's "Let Girls Learn" program. The program is administered through the Peace Corps and helps educate girls in 50 countries. Since its inception, "Let Girls Learn" has built schools, provided learning materials, trained teachers, provided safe transportation to and from school, constructed water and sanitation facilities so that girls can attend school while menstruating and addressed gender-based violence to name but a few accomplishments. Nearly 100 companies have donated to the program since 2014.
Yesterday the story emerged that this program was being discontinued, and the reaction on social media was swift and vicious. Whoops, the White House responded that heaven forfend they were not discontinuing the program, just 'rebranding' it. I guess they're going to paint over the "Michelle Obama" part of it, and train women in developing countries to sew Ivanka clothes for less than a dollar a day instead?
Good luck with that.
Trump and his administration, along with the GOP, won't be happy until we're all barefoot, pregnant and illiterate. But yesterday's quick flip-flop showed they will pull back when caught. Be sure to call, write and visit your congressmen and congresswomen and voice your objections to Trump's blatant attempts to send women's rights back to the 1920's. These policies and program cuts will not only affect women and girls directly, but they will have generational impacts to our men and boys as well.
Time to show them how these pussies grab back.