Preview Of Wisconsin Primary

State: Wisconsin

Type of election: Primary

How it works: 42 delegates are at stake, 18 awarded winner-take-all at the statewide level, the rest awarded winner-take-all by congressional district. The primary is open.

Official election results: Wisconsin Government Accountability Board

Republican candidates: Newt Gingrich, Ron Paul, Mitt Romney and Rick Santorum (all others have dropped out or are polling at less than 1 percent)

Democratic candidates: There is no competitive Democratic primary.

Previous performance: In 2008, Romney withdrew before the primary. Paul finished third with just over 4.5 percent of the vote. Obama won the Democratic primary with 58 percent of the vote.

Newspapers: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, full list

Television stations: Full list

Progressive blogs: Badger Democracy, Blogging Blue, blue cheddar, Cognitive Dissidence, Dane 101, illusory/tenant, Left on the Lake, Mal Contends, Uppity Wisconsin

Latest polling: New York Times:

  • We Ask America: Romney 39 percent, Santorum 31, Paul 16, Gingrich 15
  • PPP: Romney 43, Santorum 36, Paul 11, Gingrich 8
  • Rasmussen: Romney 44, Santorum 34, Gingrich 7, Paul 7
  • St. Norbert: Romney 37, Santorum 32, Paul 8, Gingrich 4
  • NBC/Marist: Romney 40, Santorum 33, Paul 11, Gingrich 8
  • Marquette: Romney 39, Santorum 31, Paul 11, Gingrich 5

    Nate Silver gives Romney a 91 percent chance of winning the state and Santorum 9 percent.

    Bottom line: Santorum's best chance to make some news today is to pull something off in Wisconsin, but the chances don't look good. It is an open primary, though, and Wisconsin voters are at a heightened state of alert because of the recall elections, so some crossover vote could allow Santorum to overperform.

  • Winter Donation Drive
    A latte a month. That's all we ask!
    Via snail mail:
    P.O. BOX 66310
    Los Angeles, CA 90066


    We welcome relevant, respectful comments. Any comments that are sexist or in any other way deemed hateful by our staff will be deleted and constitute grounds for a ban from posting on the site. Please refer to our Terms of Service (revised 3/17/2016) for information on our posting policy.