Glenn Greenwald pointed to some interesting data from the latest WaPo/ABC poll that shouldn’t be overlooked. Poll respondents were asked which political party they trusted to do a better job on various issues:
* The economy: Dems led Republicans, 52% to 33%
* Immigration: Dems led Republicans, 40% to 37%
* Iraq: Dems led Republicans, 48% to 34%
* The budget deficit: Dems led Republicans, 52% to 31%
* Taxes: Dems led Republicans, 48% to 40%
* The U.S. campaign against terrorism: Dems led Republicans, 44% to 37%
* Health care: Dems led Republicans, 56% to 29%
First, these aren’t cherry-picked to make Dems look good; these were all of the issues polled. Republicans trailed in every category.
Second, in almost every instance, matters are getting worse for the GOP, not better. Especially on the question regarding terrorism, this was the worst Republicans have done on the issue since the WaPo began polling on the question after 9/11. Given that this is supposed to be the party’s signature issue, it’s not at all a good sign.