Michael Cohen continues to be a thorn in Donald Trump's side, this time with the revelation that he will be publicly testifying in front of the House Oversight Committee in early February. This testimony comes just months after Cohen pleaded guilty to multiple charges and was sentenced to over three years in prison. Charges he pleaded guilty to include "hush money" payments to porn star Stormy Daniels and Playboy centerfold Karen McDougal. It is unclear what new information Cohen could provide, and anything he plans to say will surely need to be approved in advance by Special Counsel, Robert Mueller.
Cohen provided a statement to CNN saying that he agreed to testify "in furtherance of my commitment to cooperate and provide the American people with answers.
I look forward to having the privilege of being afforded a platform with which to give a full and credible account of the events which have transpired."
Possible things that we know Michael Cohen may talk about:
- Payments to the two women we know about - or payments to silence other women.
- How much Donald Trump knew about these payments and whether he directed the payments.
- How many stories the National Enquirer hid over the years.
- Shady business deals Trump was involved in that he directed Cohen to "handle."
- How about those business deals with Russia - Trump Tower Moscow?
- More details about the June 2016 Trump Tower meeting - did Trump know in advance?
- Outreach to Russia - when did it start? Has it continued?
Twitter had thoughts:
How will Donald Trump react to this latest betrayal from his confidante and personal "fixer"? The tweets will be insane.