Read time: 1 minute

In New Republican Tea Party Contract For America, Koch Industries And Bechtel Considered "Small Business"

(h/t Heather) You can't make this stuff up. Republicans are trying to pass off Koch Industries and Bechtel as "small business", deserving of a 20% tax deduction on their total income. I'm still reading their 21-page monstrosity, but this one
Views:

(h/t Heather)

You can't make this stuff up. Republicans are trying to pass off Koch Industries and Bechtel as "small business", deserving of a 20% tax deduction on their total income. I'm still reading their 21-page monstrosity, but this one jumped out at me.

Here's how it works: Some companies are umbrella companies with many subsidiaries. The parent is generally a "pass-through entity." Typically they are identifiable as LLCs or Limited Partnerships, where the income passes through to the owners. It's often used because the pass-through avoids the possibility of excess profits becoming dividends, taxed at a higher rate.

These entities don't pay corporate taxes, but their owners do pay personal income taxes on the profits passed through. So now let's look at the Republican plan for "small business".

Page 8: Give Small Businesses a Tax Deduction: We will allow small business owners to take a tax deduction equal to 20 percent of their business income. This will provide entrepreneurs with a much-needed infusion of capital for infusion and new hiring.

So, here's how that works: Koch Industries, Inc. makes a zillion bucks, passed through to the Koch Brothers as owners, they pay tax on a zillion bucks. Under the GOP plan, they'll make a zillion bucks, deduct 20% of it as a corporate deduction, leaving a passthrough of 80% of a zillion to pay personal taxes on. See how that works? A double dip! A freebie tax deduction and then 20% less taxable income to the owners.

There's some fiscal responsibility for ya. Giving the Kochs an extra piece of their zillion to fund more astroturf, more voter suppression, more tea party nonsense.

Please, someone tell me how they keep getting away with this.

Can you help us out?

For 16 years we have been exposing Washington lies and untangling media deceit. We work 7 days a week, 16 hours a day for our labor of love, but with rising hosting and associated costs, we need your help! Could you donate $21 for 2021? Please consider a one-time or recurring donation of whatever amount you can spare, or consider subscribing for an ad-free experience. It will be greatly appreciated and help us continue our mission of exposing the real FAKE NEWS!

More C&L Coverage

Discussion

New Commenting System

Our comments are now powered by Insticator. In order to comment you will need to create an Insticator account. The process is quick and simple. Please note that the ability to comment with a C&L site account is no longer available.

We welcome relevant, respectful comments. Any comments that are sexist or in any other way deemed hateful by our staff will be deleted and constitute grounds for a ban from posting on the site. Please refer to our Terms of Service (revised 3/17/2016) for information on our posting policy.

Please Do Not Use the Login Link at the Top of the Site.

In order to comment you must use an Insticator account. To register an account, enter your comment and click the post button. A dialog will then appear allowing you create your account.

We will be retiring our Crooks and Liars user account system in January, 2021.

Thank you.
C&L Team