If you missed it, Roger Goodell was just on CBS News telling Nora and the world that the NFL never received the Ray Rice domestic abuse video.
Roger Goodell denied seeing the Ray Rice assault video in an interview with CBS's Norah O'Donnell on Tuesday. The NFL commissioner spoke on the record for the first time since the video was leaked by TMZ on Monday.
"We had not seen any videotape of what occurred in the elevator," Goodell said. "We assumed that there was a video, we asked for video, we asked for anything that was pertinent, but we were never granted that opportunity."
Most people including myself have been saying all along that the NFL did see the horrific video and have been trying to cover their collective asses since the country objected to their ludicrous two game punishment of Ray Rice for such a horrible act. ESPN's Chris Mortensen months ago said that the NFL did receive it and he then accurately described what was in the video. So, who are you going to believe?
A law enforcement official says he sent a video of Ray Rice punching his then-fiancee to an NFL executive five months ago, while league executives have insisted they didn't see the violent images until this week.
The person played The Associated Press a 12-second voicemail from an NFL office number on April 9 confirming the video arrived. A female voice expresses thanks and says: "You're right. It's terrible."
The law enforcement official, speaking to the AP on condition of anonymity because of the ongoing investigation, says he had no further communication with any NFL employee and can't confirm anyone watched the video. The person said he was unauthorized to release the video but shared it unsolicited, because he wanted the NFL to have it before deciding on Rice's punishment.
Well, well, well, Spud fell in the well. What's Goodell going to say now? He's just canceled an appearance at banquet for Jerry Richardson, so they are already feeling the heat. There is going to be a lot of pressure coming down on the commissioner the rest of the week. Will the NFL do the right thing and come clean?
The only person backing Roger Goodell at this point has been the laughable Stephen A. Smith, who defended him vociferously with one of his over-the-top rants this morning on ESPN.
Remember, it was Roger Goodell who had the Spy-gate tapes destroyed.
The N.F.L. reacted swiftly to the spying scandal in September. Commissioner Roger Goodell promised on national television that there would be a full investigation of the New England Patriots’ covert filming of Jets defensive signals. He ordered the Patriots to send any videotapes filmed in violation of N.F.L. rules to the league office.
The tapes arrived sometime between Sept. 16, when Goodell said he had yet to receive them, and Sept. 20, when the N.F.L. announced all material from the investigation had been destroyed “to ensure a level playing field.” The league has not addressed the tapes since.
Two crisis-management experts used the same word — fishy — to describe the league’s handling of the situation, saying the destruction of the tapes raised questions about what they contained.
“The strategy is profoundly bad,” said Al Tortorella, the managing director of crisis management for Los Angeles-based Ogilvy Public Relations Worldwide. “I don’t know why they would destroy the tapes. That’s astounding. There’s no criminality here, but it sure doesn’t pass the smell test.”
He recommended that the league respond with more transparency, explaining in detail what the tapes contained and why they were destroyed.
“When you destroy evidence, most people assume guilt,” Wilson said. “The N.F.L. is cashing in on its trust bank. They can weather the storm, but they are stringing it out longer than most companies or people can afford to.”
Stay tuned for more..