Lookee here, news from the world of social media! (And don't get your news from social media!)
- Facebook announced it will now ban content that “denies or distorts the Holocaust,” reversing its earlier policy.
- In announcing the change, Facebook said: “Our decision is supported by the well-documented rise in anti-Semitism globally and the alarming level of ignorance about the Holocaust, especially among young people.”
- In 2018, CEO Mark Zuckerberg said Facebook did not remove Holocaust-denying content because it must allow for the possibility that users are making unintentional mistakes.
Such a brave, edgy stance to take 75 years after WW2 ended, no less.
Some more FB news (I’m running out of time this AM – so have at it):
- NYTimes: Misinformation on Facebook is more popular now than it was in 2016.
- Buzzfeed: White supremacists and other militant groups in Michigan returned to Facebook to organize with different names.
- CNN: Twitter is labeling Trump lies on covid-19, while Facebook does nothing.
- Media Matters: A network of pro-Trump public Facebook groups is promoting right-wing clickbait
Republished with permission from Mock Paper Scissors